One of the highlights of the Roundhouse calendar – the Poetry Slam is back! The slam offers young poets from across the UK the chance to compete for the coveted Slam Champion title, plus a prize of £500 and a place in the Hammer & Tongue National Final in the Royal Albert Hall. There’s nothing quite like a Roundhouse Slam Final, an atmosphere of anticipation and encouragement against the backdrop of the iconic Roundhouse Main Space. Could you be one of our finalists this year?
What will I get from taking part?
By the end of the project you will:
- Have received mentoring and advice from slam judges
- Have showcased your talent in front of large audiences at the semi-finals in the Sackler Space, and the Roundhouse Main Space if you get through to the final.
- Have made industry contacts and networked with peers and professionals in the spoken word industry.
- Have had the opportunity to compete for the title of Slam Champion and win £500 for first place, £200 for second, and £100 for third.
- All finalist performances will be professionally filmed and uploaded to the Roundhouse YouTube Channel, which has over 12,000 subscribers. Past poetry slam winner videos have accumulated up to 100,000 views.
Who will be teaching the project?
Slam judges for both the semi-finals and the final will be experts from the industry, including producers and professional spoken word artists.
Do I need any particular skills or experience to take part?
No experience necessary but an interest in writing and/or performance would be useful.
Is there anything I need to bring or wear? Comfortable clothes and shoes for rehearsing in and a notebook and pen.
Are bursaries available? Yes – if you’re applying from outside London and will would need help with travel costs to get to the semi-finals or the final, we have a few bursaries available – please get in touch to find out more: Performingarts.Projects@roundhouse.org.uk. If you are London-based and need help to pay for things like project fees, transport or childcare find out how you can get support.
I have additional needs. Can I still take part?
We have places available on all our projects for individuals with additional needs. Get in touch so that we can discuss your requirements and do our best in supporting you.