One of the highlights of the Roundhouse calendar, the Poetry Slam Is back. The slam offers young poets from across the UK the chance to compete for the coveted Slam Champion title plus the Colin and Helen David prize of £500. There’s nothing quite like a Roundhouse Slam Final; an atmosphere of anticipation and encouragement against the backdrop of the legendary Roundhouse Main Space. Could you be one of our fifteen finalists this year?
What will I get from taking part?
- Get mentoring and advice from slam judges
- Showcase their talent in front of large audiences at the Sackler Space in the heats, and the Main Space if they get through to the final.
- Make industry contacts and network with peers and professionals in the spoken word industry.
- Get the opportunity to compete for the title of Slam Champion and win £500 for first place, £200 for second, and £100 for third.
- Finalist performances will be professionally filmed and uploaded to the Roundhouse YouTube Channel, which has over 12,000 subscribers. Past poetry slam winner videos have accumulated up to 100,000 views.
Who will be teaching the project?
Slam judges will be a panel of experts from the industry, including producers and professional spoken word artists.
Do I need any particular skills or experience to take part?
You should have some poetry writing and performance experience and be ready to compete at a high level. You will be mentored throughout the process but you should be confident and ready to perform your work in front of an audience.
Is there anything I need to bring or wear?
No, everything you need will be provided.
Are bursaries available?
Yes – if you need help to pay for things like project fees, transport or childcare, find out how you can get support.
The Roundhouse Poetry Slam is generously supported by Colin and Helen David.