What is the project about?
Apply to join the Street Circus Collective…
The Street Circus Collective brings together bold young circus artists and hip hop dancers with a drive to train, collaborate, produce and present their own work.
During the year you will train across ensemble acrobatics, hip hop dance, aerial work and a range of specialist circus skills (e.g. cyr wheel). The collective produces professional work for performance opportunities including major shows in our Main Space and nationally renowned outdoor summer festivals.
“The Roundhouse is a place I look forward to coming to every week. I train with the Street Circus Collective on Sunday afternoons and Wednesday evenings. It’s a time when I work with other performers and create new work, which is something that I don’t get anywhere else.”
Miles, Street Circus Collective member
What will I get from taking part?
As part of the collective you will:
• Improve your skills in circus and hip hop dance working with professional artists
• Have the opportunity to learn specialist skills including aerial and cyr wheel
• Produce work for incredible performance opportunities. Past members have performed with Compagnie XY, NoFit State, Simple Cypher and presented work nationally and internationally at Circusstad Festival (Rotterdam), Amsterdam Roots Festival, Citadel Festival (London) and the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games
• Have the chance to see a range of professional circus productions throughout the year
• Explore professional pathways for training and employment within circus. (Past exchanges / visits include National Centre for Circus Arts (London), Circomedia (Bristol) and CircusWorks Festival 2016 – 2018)
Who will be teaching the project?
Professional circus and dance artists working in the arts industry deliver the training.
Key tutors include:
Hip Hop Artist: Luke Lentes
Acrobatics Artists: Jacob Smart & Floria Da Silva
Aerial Artists: Clare Anderson & Lila Lifely
Street Circus Collective Mentor: Ed Stephen
Plus guest artists
Do I need any particular skills or experience to take part?
You need to have intermediate to advanced level in hip hop dance and/or acrobatics and/or another circus skill. Participants must commit to both weekly training days and be willing to train across acrobatics, circus and dance. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info or chat about what level you need to be at.
Please note, Members will need to be available for training sessions on:
• Sundays 2pm – 5.30pm – aerial training (members specialising in aerial only)
• Sundays 1.45pm – 5.15pm – ensemble acrobatics training
• Wednesdays 6.30pm – 9pm – hip hop dance & circus training
Please note: there will be extra rehearsals scheduled in the lead up to performances.
Is there anything I need to bring or wear?
Clothes comfortable for movement, a bottle of water
How to enrol or apply
Applications for this year have now closed.
successful applicants will hear that they have been invited to audition by Friday 13th September
Application deadline: Monday 9 September
Audition date: Sunday 22 September (Aerialists 11am – 1pm. ALL applicants 2 – 6pm)
You must be available to attend the audition date. After the audition, successful applicants invited to join the Street Circus Collective will be notified on Monday 23 September.
For more information about the Street Circus Collective, or if you have any questions about the programme please contact us on email@example.com.
How do I pay for this project?
You can pay by visiting us in person or by calling us on 0300 6789 222 (option 4). We are open Tue – Fri 9.30am – 9pm and Sat – Mon 9.30am – 5pm. For further details see How to Enrol.
Please try to do so before the first session of the project.
I’m not sure I can afford to take part…
If you need help to pay for things like project fees, transport or childcare, we can help. Find out how you can get support..
If you are using a bursary to pay for the project, please ensure you arrange this with the Advice Base with plenty of time before the start of the project.
I have additional needs. Can I still take part?
We have places available on all our projects for individuals with additional needs.Get in touch so that we can discuss your requirements and do our best in supporting you.
Where is the project taking place?