Want to develop a variety of performance styles that are anything but mainstream? Want to create work that is politically engaged and reflects topical issues?
This project will explore comedy, cabaret, poetry, storytelling, movement and more over ten weeks, with the chance to develop and then perform your own piece of solo work.
What will I get from taking part?
• Develop skills in a large range of solo performance and cabaret techniques including; monologue, stand-up comedy, storytelling, hosting and compering, writing, creating a character, physical performance and live art
• Experience all the stages of planning and delivering a solo act; from writing to producing to performing
• Develop more confidence in yourself as a solo performer
• Discovered new and alternative techniques, styles and methods which aren’t taught in mainstream theatre or dance classes.
• Meet and built a network of both professional and aspiring cabaret and performance artists.
• Debated and discussed topical issues and how they can inspire your work in a safe and fun environment
• The project will lead up to a ‘scratch’ style performance at the Roundhouse, showcasing one (or more) of the skills you have learned. This will be performed to friends, family, Roundhouse staff and industry experts. This will be followed by a feedback and networking session.
Who will be teaching the project?
Talia Randall and Guest Artists
Do I need any particular skills or experience to take part?
Enthusiasm, an open mind and a willingness to try something new – you won’t be asked to do anything you don’t feel comfortable with but you will be experimenting with a range of performance styles.
Is there anything I need to bring or wear?
Wear comfortable clothes and footwear and bring a notebook and pen.
I’m not sure I can afford to take part…
If you need help to pay for things like project fees, transport or childcare, we can help. Find out how you can get support.
I have additional needs. Can I still take part?
We have places available on all our projects for individuals with additional needs. Get in touch so that we can discuss your requirements and do our best in supporting you.