30/11/2015 – This project is now full with a large waiting list. Check our other current opportunities for alternatives.
Want to develop a variety of performance styles that are anything but mainstream?
Come and discover your hidden talents in comedy, cabaret and story-telling across this ten-week project.
What will I get from taking part?
By the end of the project you will:
- Have developed skills in a large range of solo performance and cabaret techniques (including monologue, stand-up comedy, story-telling, hosting and compering, writing, creating a character, physical performance and live art).
- Have experience in all the stages of planning and delivering a solo act; from writing to producing to performing.
- Have developed more confidence in yourself as a solo performer.
- Discovered new and alternative techniques, styles and methods which aren’t taught in mainstream ‘acting’ or ‘dance’ classes.
- Met and built a network of both professional and aspiring cabaret and performance artists.
- Find out about the business side of being a professional artist, how to market yourself and where to find further development opportunities.
- The project will lead up to a ‘scratch’ style performance of one (or more) of the skills of your choice, for invited friends, family and industry.
Who will be teaching the project?
Professional directors and theatremakers from award-winning theatre and cabaret company Finger in the Pie plus other visiting guest tutors who are experts in their field.
Do I need any particular skills or experience to take part?
Enthusiasm, an open mind and a willingness to try something new – you won’t be asked to do anything you don’t feel comfortable with but you will be experimenting with a range of performance styles.
Some experience and basic skills in drama, dance or similar would be useful, but are not necessary.
Is there anything I need to bring or wear?
Wear comfortable clothes and footwear and bring a notebook and pen.
Are bursaries available?
Yes – if you need help to pay for things like project fees, transport or childcare find out how you can get support.