Are you angry about the state of the world and want to write poetry that inspires change? Learn how to be an activist using just pen and paper, and protest using the spoken word.
What will I get from taking part?
By the end of the project you will:
- Develop your writing and performance skills with a professional poet.
- Collaborate with other young artists to create an original piece of work.
- Learn about other activist artists’ work and their processes.
- Learn how to create work based on real life events and how best to promote/use that work.
- Gain confidence in writing and performing.
- Learn to critique your own and others’ work to improve poems and performances.
- Learn social and teamwork skills by working with others in sessions.
- Perform a final showcase of the work you’ve created in the Roundhouse.
Who will be teaching the project?
Professional spoken word artists.
Do I need any particular skills or experience to take part?
No experience necessary, but an interest in writing and/or performance, and an interest in activism and social change is important.
Is there anything I need to bring or wear?
Just a pen, paper, and your passion for performance and activism.
I’m not sure I can afford to take part…
If you need help to pay for things like project fees, transport or childcare, we can help. Find out how you can get support.
I have additional needs. Can I still take part?
We have places available on all our projects for individuals with additional needs. Get in touch so that we can discuss your requirements and do our best in supporting you.
Please note, we don’t recommend you take this project if you have done it before