Project dates: 2015 and 2017
On Mass brings together professional and emerging music and performance artists from around the world, in a celebration of youth, creativity, diversity, integration and crossing borders. These themes are showcased at the culmination of the project, in a high profile production in the Roundhouse Main Space, as part of London Jazz Festival, bi-annually.
The international young musicians – selected following week long workshops in the home countries – participate in a series of masterclasses and collaborations over the course of a week, in which they gain valuable exposure to the London music scene.
- 2015: Ukraine, South Africa, Nigeria and the UK
- 2017: India, Faroe Islands, USA and UK
- 2015: Shelter+, Little Giants, The Muson Centre, Kinetika Bloco, Queens Crescent Community Association and William Ellis School
- 2017: Dharavi Rocks, The Nordic House, Preservation Hall, MODO
Funders: SA-UK Seasons 2014/15, the Department of Arts and Culture, South Africa, the British Council and TANDEM Cultural Managers Exchange Ukraine.
Project Statistics (2015):
- 280 young musicians took part in the project
- 1000+ audience members for the live performance
- 4,600+ viewers for the live broadcast
I don’t think I’ve ever been in anything quite as brilliant as this – a timely reminder of the power of art to unite people